The Junior Assistant Program is open to students 14+ who are looking to gain experience working with youth in a leadership and coaching setting. Under the supervision of a Sabretooths team Coach and Assistant Coach, the Junior Assistant would learn ways to be an effective basketball leader, team player and mentor. Junior Assistants could be paired with teams from U9-U15, depending on their basketball experience and age.
The purpose of this program is to provide valuable mentoring and volunteer experience while helping develop future youth basketball coaches.
To qualify for the Sabretooths Junior Assistant Program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a minimum of 14 years of age
- Understand the basics of basketball
- Be willing to learn from the Head Coach and Assistant Coach
- Can commit to a minimum of 1 day per week for practices (most teams also include weekend games).
- To increase the opportunity for youth to gain coaching experience.
- To provide leadership experience and develop confidence.
- To provide younger teams with role models and establish mentoring experiences for the younger athletes.
After the successful completion of the team's season, Junior Assistants will be provided with a letter of reference and certificate for their volunteer time and leadership.