Spring 2021 Information
Our 2021 spring season is underway with close to 150 athletes registered and dozens on waiting lists! We are so proud to be able to offer safe and fun programs for Morinville and Sturgeon County area youth to build upon their basketball skills. MYBA has many experienced coaches who are dedicated to growing the game.
This spring, our programs were planned to be a 3 on 3 format. Unfortunately, COVID protocols prevents this.. for now.
At this time:
- Practice groups were formed within each divisions. THESE ARE NOT GAME TEAMS, rather these are training groups of athletes due to COVID restrictions of a maximum of 10 participants
- Practices are 1 hour in length due to gym availability; this may increase in length for most divisions if our gym time increases
- Teams will have a maximum of 8-9 athletes
- Absolutely no 1-on-1 or competition is allowed in practices. Athletes will focus on fitness and individual skills, such as shooting, dribbling, and finishing moves
- Coaches will be masked at all times but athletes do not need to wear masks when participating in the training activity. Masks are required to enter and exit the facility
- When the weather warms, training groups may find themselves practicing on local, outdoor courts, in addition to their indoor training time
When restrictions lift (TBD based on the actual restrictions set by AHS and ABA):
- Training groups will be split into 3-on-3 teams by MYBA executive and MYBA division coaches. These 3-on-3 teams will be made with the best interests of the league and players in mind to ensure the most competitive league possible
- Teams will participate in a 3-on-3 league, format TBD based on the number of athletes in each division
- Junior Sabres programs will participate in a 4-on-4 league with teams *MOST LIKELY* staying how they are now. This is subject to change.
- Athletes will be able to compete with each other in practices and work on offence and defence, but will still work on individual skills as often as possible, such as shooting, dribbling, and finishing moves
*Everything planned is dependant on AHS and ABA COVID protocols, MYBA is committed to providing a safe environment for our athletes to participate in, while also giving them a place to develop their skills and become stronger and smarter basketball players*
If you have any questions or are curious to know if we have open spots (or if you wish to be placed on a waiting list), please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org